Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Reading Linky Party!!!

I am linking up with Clutter-Free Classroom to share summer reading plans. About 4 years ago, I restructured my Math block. Although my students were performing well in math, I found the method rather boring and dated. I begin to read  research that suggested that students could benefit from a Math Block similar that was set up like my Reader's Workshop and Guided Reading. So I overhauled the old way and begin to look for books that I could use to get me started.  Here are the three books I have read and will do some refreshing over the summer. These three books have been instrumental in changing the way  I do math.






  I first started with  Larry Ainsworth's, Five Easy Steps to a Balanced Math Program for Primary Grades. This was an excellent guide into understanding the steps to implementing a balanced math program. It was my foundation to change the way I did things. It focused on what should the importance be placed on during math, how to set it up, and also grade level specific strategies with step by step guide.
Although Ainsworth's book laid the foundation for my new and improved math block, Sammon's book provided me with a new framework for approaching my math block. One day I accidentally ran across a website that gave great detail about their math block and how it was setup. I was thinking this is just like Guided Reading but no one wrote the book on Guided Math until a year after I discovered the site. One day I decided to just look on Amazon because I was like, there has to be something written by now and then I found Laney Sammons. I couldn't put down the book. I think I finished reading it in less than a week. I was just so excited about me new found information. Please let me know if you would like to have a book study with me about any of these books. I don't want to go into details, I want to make this a discussion if possible. I would like to share my plans on how I set up my Math Block. I would love to provide you with a sample of what my weeks looks like.
Please comment to join the discussion and I can set up a book study.

Thanks and Happy Reading!









7 comments:

Bright Concepts 4 Teachers said...

I found your site through the summer reading linky party. Your blog is adorable and your money unit looks fantastic! I am new to blogging as well and your newest follower.

Dr. Alisha A. Hayes said...

Thank you for becoming my newest follower. I hope to have a book study going soon.

Wolfelicious said...

Hi!! I just found your blog!! WoohoO!! I am your newest follower. I would love to have you stop by when you get some time.

April
Wolfelicious

Bright Concepts 4 Teachers said...

I have nominated you for an award. Come by my blog and check it out.

-Jaime
Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

Angie said...

I'm trying to read up on guided math, too. I would love to join a book study!

I'm your newest follower. Come by my blog to grab the One Lovely Blog Award I've nominated you for!

Angie
The First Grade Scoop

Bright Concepts 4 Teachers said...

I have a little award for you. Come over and check it out! Congrats!
-Jaime
Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

Keeping Up With First Grade said...

Found your blog because I saw you nominated for an award from Jamie at Bright Concepts for Teachers. Such a great blog you have and I am your newest follower. Come check out my new blog sometime at Keeping Up With First Grade

Blessings,
Brittany

Post a Comment